Tuesday, August 28, 2007

pain and high school

I didn't go to CSUF today. Sorry :( I stayed up til midnight yesterday typing up that law suit for my uncle... and when I woke up today, my entire body was exhausted and in pain. I still feel that way. My neck feels sore (I keep asking my sister and mom for massages, lol), my head hurts, and my back feels weird too. It sucks because my condition is making me incredibly lazy. BUT, I took a Math IIC practice test today. And made a card for Vicky's birthday... but other than that... nothing.

Well, nothing productive at least. I'll tell you what I DID do today, and it really embarrasses me. Haha I watched tons of TV. First, I watched Ice Princess. I like that movie a lot. Casey's character is inspirational. She turned down Harvard for iceskating! Well, that's not all. My sister and I then watched Newport Harbor: The REAL OC. I know. GASPS. I hate those kinds of reality shows, but we were really bored. But you know what? Those kinds of shows are somewhat addicting. Because before we knew it, we started watching more Newport Harbor online, and then the Hills and Laguna Beach Season 1 on the computer in the afternoon. OMG.. we are so woo liao. The girls are all like obsessed with guys, drama, spending money, etc. etc. But it's still fun to watch them make a fool of themselves.

Tonight while working on some math problems, I watched Never Been Kissed for like the ... fifth time or so. Yes I know, I'm a sad little girl. But yeah, it made me think a lot. About cliques and highschool.. especially after watching Laguna Beach and those kinds of shows, where it's obvious that these people are the so-called "popular" kids at their school. And it made me think... when exactly does popularity start? How does one become popular? Are the cliques really distinct, even at Troy?

I think I noticed the beginnings of popularity ever since like 2nd grade, but I don't think it really began until like 5th or 6th grade. I liked it when I was in Eastside, and popularity didn't really exist. Everyone was friends with everyone. Then all of the sudden middle school came, and people began changing. They started to wear makeup, dress real slutty-ish, and began dating. What the freak. I don't get them. Why would people want to grow up so fast? Nowadays, I see little tweens that look older than me. I freak out when I see the Bratz dolls. This generation.... *sighs*. We grew up too fast.

I'm not saying that all popular people are like that. Some are actually really genuine, nice people. My best friend from elementary school, whom I still talk to, is popular but not in "that" way, you know? She's senior class president at Canyon this year. They're popular because they are friendly to everyone.

Who am I talking about then? I'm talking about the kids like those I see on Laguna Beach. The ones who only care about appearances and guys. They just seem very fake and shallow. Well actually I take that back... not all of them are. But I'm talking about ones like Kristen. And that Kendra girl from season 3. The rest are just plain annoying and drama queens. LC, for example, is okay but a drama queen. Chrissy from newport harbor is okay, but she's annoying.

You know what I noticed though? I've been sheltered. Either that, or Troy isn't your typical high school. But I think it's the former. I know that we have the "popular crowds", the ones that hang out near the quad area during breaks, but they don't seem as bad as these Laguna Beach kids, or heck even the popular people at El Rancho. But I don't know... maybe it's because it's because I'm in IB and Troy Tech. I have like no classes with these people. At El Rancho and Canyon Rim, I was in a lot of classes with them. Now, I am surrounded by a lot of motivated people. They care about learning, even if they don't like to show it.

And then I started thinking about college. Why exactly do I want to go to a private school like Stanford or the Ivy leagues? Because I know that, even though these cliques will still exist, they won't be as bad as ones at like, the UCs or Cal States. I want to be surrounded by these brilliant thinkers, not slackers who ask dumb questions and just don't care. It's true... the environment you are at really REALLY influences the way you work. Or, at least for me.

Wow. This post sounds really judgmental.. but, that's just some of my opinions. :P I'm off to bed now!!

5 comments:

LalaLiu said...

everyplace you go it will be like this. even in work. you can never esscape MAUAHAHHAHAHHQA

LalaLiu said...

and are you saying im not brillant because im not in a private school? MHMMMM??

byron said...

DON'T LET THE BLOGGY DIEEE
write write write :)

Kevin Xu said...

hey great blog there stina. i found it when i did a search about zinch. I was at FBLA NLC in chicago too and thats where i learned about it! anyways i sent u a facebook request and check out my blog as well! http://cantheworldhearme.wordpress.com/

rice paper girl said...

you remind me of myself one year ago!! (doing IB, stressing over college + SAT, etc etc)

but i have to tell you, just because a school is private, you're not going to find a bunch of brilliant thinkers and less cliques. the cliques are everywhere, seriously. no matter what, there's always going to be those people where you question the decision of the admissions people to let them in, those people that act like the people on laguna beach and etc. i think it's pretty much the same everywhere you go, because I expected my university to be like that (few cliques and mostly brilliant people) and it ended up partly true, but the cliques (popular, unpopular, weird, etc) still definitely exist.

anyway, i'm not sure what my point is, but i truly wish you good luck with college apps, finishing IB, and everything!! :) :)